Sunday, June 24, 2012














This was a mural I created last June 2011, for a dry-cleaner (Sarni Dry Cleaners) on Newbury Street. You can visit this location of the franchise chain on 245 Newbury; if it’s still there, it’s right next to DeLuca’s market. Photo credit to Leah Klein (http://leahkleindesign.com/).

This was a fun project, and the first solo mural I’d created before. It’s above a fireplace that was nearly taller than my barely-5-foot self, so I had to be on a ladder. The surface area was on the taller side of somewhere between 5.5 and 6 feet tall, by a little more than 5 feet wide. I’d used multiple reference photos of what the owner of the company wanted: Boston skyline with some iconic buildings— not exact replicas, but just vague enough that Bostonians could recognize them — and sailboats on the Charles. I like how it came out. Especially after a year since its completion, one can “look back” and see things that are really great about a past work and acknowledge that, yeah, it is pretty awesome!

Usually I make murals with my best friend Vicki (http://victoriasarkissian.com/) - all throughout high school, we made quite a few murals, some with fellow classmates, that may or may not still be at Shawsheen Tech; we also made a full-party-room mural for my dad’s indoor baseball facility. That one, unfortunately, (or fortunately, as it was the summer before college, we were young and amateur, and the style would probably be embarrassing to us both) has been painted over and my dad moved his facility. Perhaps we will make another mural party room someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment